Friday, May 25, 2007

iPhone Killer

Well, Apple had what appeared to be a great product in the iPhone but now Nokia is preparing to one up them with their latest and greatest new development. Fortunately for me, I'm prepared to take advantage of this product in a way that will put a smile on Al Gore's face and put the carbon credit market into a tailspin.

Once Nokia's new product hits the market, every Nokia owner on the planet is going to want to ditch their old phones. When they do, I'll be there to take them off their hands and put them to good use. I'm betting if I strap enough of these old phones to a very long pole and engineer the proper circuits, capacitors, and stand far enough away, I'll be able to harness the tremendous power of mother nature. My new invention will generate so much electricity by attracting all those wayword watts that fly through the air that we may just be able get rid of coal, natural gas, wood, and propane powered unicycles. The utility companies will actually be paying me for power.

How great is that!?!

NOTE: Misleading topic at no extra charge.

(this page intentionally left vague)

2 comments:

Mattjumbo said...

Are you as confused as I am about all of the "iPhone killers"?

I would understand if there had never been an iPod, but there was an iPod, ya know? I can look at an MP3/Media device now and see immediately whether it can compete with the iPod just based on the simplicity (or lack thereof) of the controls.

Someone called the Nokia N95 an "iPhone killer" today so I went and checked it out. It has buttons, sliders, a numeric keypad...just geegaws all over the place.

Do they really *still* not get it?

XenoChron said...

The basic problem is that no one has rethought the interface at the most basic level other than Apple. If they had, then they would get it. All the phone vendors have feature creep and can't get break out of the pattern.

The Nintendo Wii shows precisely what can happen when a company throws everything out and starts from scratch and rethinks everything. Unfortunately, as I'm sure will happen with the cell phone industry, the game console manufactureres are still scratching their heads and can't figure it out even though it is so obvious to the rest of us.

The only thing that could really prevent the iPhone interface from catching on is if there is a technical problem with the touch screen itself. If the company was any other besides Apple and the man behind it was anyone but Jobs, I wouldn't have any faith that it would work as advertised. Jobs track record shows that he'd never let that thing out the door if there was a glitch like that.