Thursday, May 08, 2008

Boom Blox is Good!


I picked up Boom Blox yesterday. I had some gift cards so it seemed like a worthwhile purchase. I'll agree with most of the reviews that are out and say that it is a worth while purchase for the Wii. The limited time I played it last night, I thoroughly enjoyed it. My daughter absolutely loves it.

If you like the quick to pick up and play type of game, this is it. You can't get much simpler and it would seem there are a lot of levels to get through. I don't like the "must complete tutorial" approach to setting up user profiles but at least there are 6 slots available to save for users since there are 6 of us in my family.

I personally think the multiplayer on this is probably where most of the longevity and fun of the game will be. If you want a good two and up multiplayer game, this seems like a good way to go and will be a whole lot of fun if you have a bunch of people over. I can't say I'm a big fan of the target shooting parts of the game though.

I won't repeat what all the reviews say but I think the ones at 1up.com and ign.com summed it up pretty good. For a good list of the reviews, go here. I'll also agree with one of the reviews in that the limits of the Wii processing power do tend to rear their ugly head here perhaps lending a little credence that some games, particular ones with realistic physics engines under the hood, could benefit from some extra muscle. I'd love to see this game on a multicore PC with a high end graphics card.

Bottom line, if you have a Wii, this is a game you probably need to own no matter who you are. Every age will enjoy this immensely.

No comments: