Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Mario can take it

I was just thinking the other day that a lot of my posts are negative and I was going to vow to not be so lopsided in my posts. However, since there are so many positive reviews of Super Mario Galaxy, I felt it was my duty to take good ol' Mario down a notch. Don't worry though, Mario is tough and he can take it.

I have two gripes:
  • My kids now fight over the Wii because only one person can really play at a time. They even fight over whether someone should assist as a second player. I say this only half jokingly.
  • You can't save anywhere you want and anytime you want. Normally I wouldn't think much of this but it is exceedingly frustrating to try and get the kids off the system (or myself for that matter) at a moments notice when you can't save just anywhere you want. You either have to exit out of the galaxy you are in forfeiting progress or hang in there a bit longer and hope you can finish the level out. I understand the technical reasons you can't do this. Without a hard drive, saving the state of the system is difficult. It is the one thing (and I do mean one thing) that right now keeps Galaxy from being perfect.
If only other games had it so good.

4 comments:

Skudge said...

Can you at least pause the action? So when you call the kids to do whatever you need them to do, they can pause it and come back to it later on?

XenoChron said...

Yes. To be fair, you can pause it. Sometimes that isn't the most convenient or safest thing to do though.

Mattjumbo said...

As a guy with kids, I get it.

But Mario has never been a two player game in any real sense. There was some two player stuff here and there but the *real* Mario adventures has always been a lonely quest.

Why would they change it now?

XenoChron said...

Like I said, I was half joking. While a good two player mode would be nice I didn't really expect it.

After a lot more play time (more than I care to mention) the two player mode in this is actually fun and the second player is quite useful. I know everyone enjoys playing as the second player and it certainly beats the heck out of just watching.

Also, additional play time really drives home just how great this game really is. I don't expect most non-platform gamers will be converted but wow, there are so many ways Mario interacts with the environment and they are a lot of fun. Plus, the difficulty level isn't so high as to be frustrating. The whole family has really enjoyed this and nothing much else is getting played on the Wii at the moment.