Monday, November 19, 2007

I'll take Galaxy for $25


Well, sort of...

I discovered at the last minute that Toys 'R Us had a special running to get a $25 Gift Card when purchasing a copy of Super Mario Galaxy. Of course, I had to go get it which was great since I really didn't want to wait until Black Friday.

For a really good review, check out GameSpot's site.

The quick answer to whether to buy it is YES, go buy it. It is a great game. I've not played too far into it but it really is a stellar achievement. It's a qualified BUY because if you have no interest in platform games, then this probably won't appeal to you.

It is a masterpiece of presentation. It is also quite a piece of programming. I have to hand it to the developers for figuring out how to make such incredibly complex worlds that Mario can walk and run and jump on. All this is done while still keeping the controls simple and intuitive.

The other thing that they did which I really appreciate is that they added the ability for a second person to participate in a cooperative fashion and really feel like they are contributing. At first, when I read how it was handled, I thought it would be lame but it is actually quite fun.

It is most certainly a game that is worth purchasing if you have a Wii. Nearly anyone will find it enjoyable unless you really only like first person shooters or racing games. This game really sets the bar very high for others that are coming out with Wii games. Everything from here on out will be compared with it and I feel sorry for the other developers. They are all going to have their work cut out for them.

No comments: