Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I've had it with iPhone "experts"

I've had it with the iPhone "experts" out there. Network World just put out an article stating how the Gartner group is telling "IT executives to not support it." Whoopie ding dong!

Who the heck is Gartner group to be telling anyone anything about the iPhone at this point. Correct me if I'm wrong but no one outside of Apple and AT&T even have access to one of these things. Even if I am wrong on that point, it really matters little. Since when did Apple start promoting the iPhone to the enterprise customer?

First, let me just say, I won't be buying one. I'll let the others out there run it through its paces first. I'm still in the middle of a two year contract with Verizon ayway and I also don't have $500 to plunk down on a cell phone (although I did get mine run over by a car today...ouch.)

If a user had one in our office and wanted to forward their email to it, fine with me. We'll handle it the EXACT SAME WAY as we handle the Blackberry. Oh yeah, didn't you know, you need to drop a load a cash on software to integrate the Blackberry with Exchange. Sure, you can sync it on your desktop but who the heck cares. If you are a large enterprise, I'm sure you can afford the software but I'm sure those in the $150,000,000 and under sales category (small potatoes, I know) aren't dropping a load of cash on Blackberry software for their servers, assuming they even use Exchange or Notes.

Ok, I'm getting off topic a bit, but my point is that Apple knows who their customer is, they know what people want, and they are going to give it to them. Will it be perfect out of the box? No way, nothing is. It will be nearly perfect and future iterations most likely via software upgrades will close the gap with perfect eventually. Nothing Gartner or any other analyst out there can say is going to change that.

Interestingly, what I find most telling about this and of no great surprise is that people, particularly analysts, like to bring other products down. They produce nothing so therefore they have to come up with crap to feed people and hopefully others will buy it. The more shocking, the better it sells. Since the iPhone is one of the biggest things this year, why not pick on it. Besides, for IT guy who can't stand that he can't have an iPhone, this is the perfect excuse to prevent others in his company from getting. Trust me, once he gets approval for one of his or her own, they'll be iPhones all over the place in that company.

Hello! Message to Gartner! Jobs doesn't give a rip about you or your approval and last I checked, he didn't need your blessing to blow the doors off the cell market which is exactly what is about to happen in 9 days!

4 comments:

Skudge said...

The fact that everyone in the industry is so apoplectic about the impending arrival of iPhone is all the evidence you need to make the case that this thing is huge. And it's screwing up the thinking of even the smartest analysts.

People will judge it on whether or not it comes to dominate the market, ala iPod. That's not fair.

The iPhone is really just another product. It doesn't need to become a legend in order to be a success.

XenoChron said...

I'll agree with you there. This doesn't need to be the next iPod. In fact, I'm not sure it can with an exclusive arrangement with AT&T. There are probably too many areas where AT&T can't service properly compared to other carriers and that'll last at least 5 years.

What I do want to happen though is for some ground breaking revolutionary change in how we interface with our cell phones, iPod's, etc. I think this device has the chance to make that happen . I'm really counting on the fact that Apple didn't screw up the touch screen keyboard.

The funniest stuff is what comes out of the mouth of of the executives of the other large carriers. Verizon's comment was they see this as perhaps causing a positive change in the industry. What a pathetic show of leadership. Yeah, we agree that changes need to be made but we're not going to do them, we'll let others innovate. Now there's a company that is going to revolutionize things!

For me, if there was no hype around the iPhone, I'd still be waving the flag for it. Sometimes you see something and just have to say, "WOW!" In fact, I think the last time I felt like that was when I saw a Mac for the first time and used one of the first LaserWriters. It's no coincidence those both just happened to be from Apple too!

Skudge said...

I'd also like to see Apple (or someone) look at simplifying the phone. As nifty as it is, not all of us need a tricorder on our belt.

XenoChron said...

Jobs announced the "shuffle" version of the iPhone to be released at Christmas. It's called iSqueeze and it is a little black squishy ball with no screen. Each time you squeeze the ball, it cycles through the numbers of all the people who've ever called you. When you find the right one, you squeeze and hold and it dials. Who needs a stinking display or keys!!

Oh, and by the way, I DO need a tricorder and it better make all the neat Star Trek sound effects too!