Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My iPhone - observations and gripes


I finally got my iPhone. I love it. There is no doubt this is the future of the phone. As I mentioned before though, when you have something that is so nearly perfect but is marred by what I perceive as easily addressed (or could have been addressed) issues, it tarnishes the product a bit. Whatever I say doesn't change my opinion of the phone though, it is far and away a fantastic phone and easily beats the competitors hands down.

First, and a lot has been written about this, is the battery. I know, you need to charge it every night. That I can live with. What I can't live with is having to make excuses for what is an otherwise spectacular product and having to recharge my phone part way through the day.

There is no single reason I can think of short of Job's insistence that this phone doesn't have a replaceable battery. I understand why it isn't bigger. I understand battery technology isn't where it should be for this computer in your pocket. But come on, I should be able to replace the battery. Somehow, some way, Apple should have figured this out and made it work.

The alternatives now are things like this Mophie Juice Pack. These are at best balky clumsy fixes.

The battery problem is now something that is impossible to fix without another phone design. That'll be at least a year away and if I know Jobs, he'll still be a pain in the rear and won't add a replaceable battery again.

The other feature issues are below. I hope Apple can address these with software updates:

  • Need a period on the alpha keyboard or some sort of punctuation. I really can't stand switching back and forth to end a sentence. Worse, you can't rotate the phone while typing an email and get a bigger better version of the keyboard with the punctuation. Please fix this, it is frustrating.

  • Application updates and deletes in iTunes and on the iPhone need to be handled a bit better. It should know that if I delete an app on the phone, I don't want it synced back over to the phone when I reattach to iTunes. To delete an App, you almost need to delete it in both places at once in a coordinated effort.

  • Why in the heck can't I change the sounds for anything other than ringing on my phone. I absolutely hate the new mail sound. Can't change it! This is really inexcusable. For that matter, not being able to turn any sound into a ringtone is ridiculous. I understand the economics behind it but it sucks.

  • Switching between multiple email accounts needs to be a whole lot easier. I should be able to toggle between multiple accounts from the inbox of each account.

  • Folders in email should be collapsible.

  • Recent call list should show which phone the call was made from if it matches in your contact list. When someone calls, I like to know was it their home, office, or cell. I have to click and look at the details for the name in the recent call list to see this now.

  • The mail icon on the home screen should have the option to have more than one number displayed for email. Perhaps four (one in each corner) and each would be a different color. I'd really like to know if the new mail I've got is for my work account or my home account without having to drill down into my email. Worse, because switching accounts is a bit of a pain, it is a more tedious process than necessary.
I'm done griping now. You might ask, what DO you like? Well, the list is too long. There are plenty of positive reviews out there and the good things are all spelled out in those. I just felt these points above needed reiterating.

Out of all the things, I'm mostly disappointed in the battery life. I knew this going into it I just wish I didn't have to make excuses for what is such a fantastic product. I feel like I did when I had the old Mac with the 9" screen and it was black and white. I was always telling people how great the Mac was but then making excuses for the stupidely small screen and the lack of color. If the battery were a real obscure problem it wouldn't be a big deal. But it isn't, it is a glaringly obvious problem and could have easily been addressed.

3 comments:

Skudge said...

The problem with battery life on this phone is that it's a phone.

It's not like an iPod, and if the battery dies, oh well, you're out of music.

No, if the battery dies on this, you're out of communication period. That's a lot more unacceptable for personal and professional uses than any iPod or game system or what have you.

Replaceable battery packs would be ideal.

But honestly, I'll limit my gripes to that. I'm really happy with my iPhone, and I find it pretty easy to forgive the rough edges in some of the implementation.

XenoChron said...

I've forgiven all the rough edges but one and that is the ability to change the sounds for other functions besides the ringing of the phone. To me, that just seems plain obvious. The other stuff is all a matter of refinement.

I will say that it was awful cheap and petty of Apple NOT to include the universal dock "5 cent piece of plastic" adapter for the iPhone 3G.

Everything else will come due time except the changeable battery of course.

Oh, and hey, when did you get the iPhone?!? Don't you know everything you do or buy is supposed to be posted in your blog?

Skudge said...

I got one shortly after we moved to NC. I wanted a 919 area code, and our cable company screwed us over on Internet connectivity, so I was hoping to get the NetShare tether to work as well. I got NetShare working the day after my cable came back, but the phone is still cool as all get-out.

I agree about the tones. You're right. That should be as univerally adaptable as wallpaper.

And while you're on the subject of plastic, those $30 cases are pure robbery. Without the holes, they're soapdishes, and they cost a dollar at walmart.