Monday, August 25, 2008

Clearly AT&T has some work to do

As reported here, it seems pretty obvious that AT&T has some work to do. While it is not a scientifically based survey of any sort, it is clear that AT&T's 3G network needs to be beefed up a bit in certain places. It is also apparent that Apple isn't going to have a magic bullet for the 3G complaints.

If there is one thing people do frequently, that is underestimate the popularity of an Apple device. It is also one of those "duh!" moments where the carrier has to realize that the iPhone is more than a phone! (now the DUH!) The iPhone is probably the first and only product that really stresses the 3G network because people can actually use the thing for more than just email and texting.

The sad part is that while AT&T deals with these issues on their 3G network here in the US, other phone vendors are going to benefit from the build out of these networks when they introduce their new products. When they come out with their product that uses 3G, they are going to be pointing at the iPhone and saying, "See how much better my performance is than when the iPhone 3G came out!"

Let's not forget this when the time comes!

2 comments:

Skudge said...

I've heard complaints, and as a iPhone owner I've seen my share of spotty 3G coverage. It's annoying.

But I don't expect perfection and innovation at the same time. The network is growing, and will fill out. It's spotty in the same way my cell phone was spotty ten years ago. There were places downtown DC where I got no single.

But it was worth it then, it's worth it now, and I'll be a little patient while things grow.

XenoChron said...

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I don't have 3G in my area. I'm looking forward to it though despite whatever issues it might have. Once you get a taste of it, it is hard to go back to EDGE.