Sunday, February 17, 2008

Advertising in online video - Get a clue please!!

Alright, I've just about had it with advertising in the online videos of most of the major networks and many of the other sites that have "free" content supported by advertising interspersed in the videos they give for "free".

I have the free in quotes because, frankly, a bit of my mind and patience is sucked away with every last one of the commercials I have to watch. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not some crazy person who thinks everything should be free. I realize that these sponsors help pay for the content I'm watching for "free". But who the heck thinks I want to watch the same gosh darn advertisement SIX bleepin' times in the span of 30-40 minutes! Let's get just a bit creative can we please???

I rarely rarely ever watch any of the catch up episodes of shows on the networks and, after my last experience, I'll probably watch them even less. A week or so ago, I had to catch up on a couple of CHUCK episodes. I ended up watching the same 60 second (or was it 30 and seemed like 60) commercial perhaps 6 or 7 times. It was unbelievable. I mean, come on, get a clue would you networks please? Why would I ever want to see the same thing 6 times. I get the idea the first one or two times. Really! I remember it. It wasn't that long ago.

Point of fact, I probably am now less likely to support that sponsor than ever before. I just don't like getting hit over the head with a hammer repeatedly. It hurts!

I just experienced the same thing on GameSpot, and GameTap. Both sites play the same darn commercial EVERY SINGLE TIME. Ok, GameTap does mix it up a small bit but they rotate between maybe three different videos. Thank goodness they are short.

So, come on internet web sites out there, let's get with the program and play the commercial ONCE! And I do mean ONCE!! Not once per view. Not once per hour. Not once per game. No, just once is enough. If you want to do it again, at least wait one day. I'll give you that much slack but no more. And do give me that excuse about having some commercials play more than once in a sitting on TV. No, that won't work. I've got a DVR that gets me right by those. Nope, that just doesn't fly.

Oh, and for the record, I'm boycotting everything I have to watch more than once a day.

All you websites out there have been warned!! You have no excuse now!

2 comments:

Skudge said...

They're doing this because they have more ad inventory than they have advertisers, so they have to play the same ad too frequently, just to fill the available space.

The problem is that online advertising still doesn't work, and online video ads are worse. You have a lot more attention span in your living room than at your desk. And now that you can fast forward the ads in your living room, the ones at your desk are all the more onerous.

XenoChron said...

I figure that is the case but hey, if they've got ten slots and one ad, play it once and skip the other nine because they're only pissing me off. Or at least give me the option of skipping the other nine with a skip button or fast forward. Something please...