Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Wii games worth waiting for

I finally saw video of the two games that I think are going to have a strong influence on what people are going to want to buy for the holidays when it comes to game consoles. I say want because, by Nintendo's own admission, there won't be enough Wii systems to go around for Christmas.

Either way, you owe it to yourself to take a look at Super Mario Galaxy and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. They are two very different games but I think they'll have universal appeal for a lot of reasons.

First, Super Mario Galaxy looks to be one of the most original platform games I've seen in a long time. It appears to utilize the Wii controllers in new and interesting ways too. The best part is that it lets people play in a cooperative mode that makes for a very good time. Nothing is worse than watching someone else play a game.

Second, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games looks like the game that the Wii was invented for. Everything about this game says, "Play Me." Believe me, I do. I know my kids will. With 24 events covering a lot of Summer Games territory, something is bound to appeal to everyone. The best part is that it looks like they've tweaked the game to allow someone to jump in and play with no experience but gave subtlety to the controls so you can finesse yourself to higher scores. I really can't wait to get my hands on this one.

One big question mark is the game Link's Crossbow Training. This looks like it could be a lot of fun but I'm not sure how long the fun will last. It appears to be a family version of some of the bloodier and more violent shooters that are popular in the arcades such as Ghost Squad. I hope it works and they don't botch it but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm actually excited about some Wii games finally!

Now if they could only get more Wii's in the hands of more people.

No comments: