Thursday, July 24, 2008

More of Game Developers NOT Getting It

I know I'm beating a dead horse here but I just had to post something. I watched a video teaser from Sony's E3 announcements earlier and it is just so sad. I mean it has to be the most depressing video ever. Why is that?

Because it consisted of mostly rehashed material. It was loaded (probably 1/2 to 2/3's) with FPS shooters of some sort. A few ridiculous driving games were in there too and pathetically few games were of any interest whatsoever. I love games and video games in particular. I should be excited to see what is new and forthcoming and I'm not.

All I can say is thank goodness Nintendo is there with the Wii. If not for them, this would be the most depressing time in recent video game history. At least someone out there gets it.

Just to illustrate how the "others" aren't getting it, I downloaded a Wall-E demo for the PS3. Wall-E is a kids game. It is targeted towards kids. No self respecting teenager and probably no adult will ever play Wall-E the video game unless their younger sibling or their kids have it. They most definitely won't buy it for themselves.

However, every single button on the dang PS3 controller has some use or function. For crying out loud, it is a kids video game. How am I supposed to explain to a 5 or 6 year old how each and every button is supposed to work. This is a game that should have the joystick and one MAYBE two buttons used at most. Nothing more.

The game was so frustrating, my 8 year old said it was bad. He got stuck in 5 minutes of playing and it probably was just because he couldn't figure out the right combination of buttons to press.

I'm betting the Wii version is a lot simpler to play.

As mentioned on my friends blog, the Wii is successful for the same reasons the Atari 2600 was popular way back when. The control schemes are easy to understand and the games appeal to a wide audience. Until the other consoles figure this out, they are doomed to be runners up in this battle for video game dominance. I'm being polite when I say runner up too!

No comments: